April is actually one of the best times of year to aerate your lawn. Lawn aeration helps the roots to breathe and allows your grass to get the nutrients that it needs to look healthy throughout the year. The following are some of the reasons why lawn aeration is awesome:
1) April is still a fairly wet month, but your lawn starts to dry out and it makes it the perfect time to aerate. Because the lawn is moist, but not mushy, you should be able to get very good plugs when you go over your lawn with a lawn aerator. Ideally, you want to get plugs that are at least 2 inches deep when you aerate.
2) In April, it is not too hot, or too cold to get good results. The soil can get hard and dry when it gets too hot. You want to aerate your lawn before it gets too hot so you can get the best plugs.
Overseeding and Fertilizing
3) April is one of the best times of year for overseeding. As it starts to warm up, seeds should have no trouble germinating in just 2 to 3 weeks. If you take the time to plant new grass in April, you can have a great looking lawn by the middle of May. Overseeding is a great way to fix patch grass, or trouble spots in your lawn. Also, during April, most areas get a lot of rain, making it easy for seeds to grow without constant watering.
4) As it gets warmer in April, the level of microorgasmic activity in your lawn also increases. As your grass starts to grow, it also quickly grows roots going down to the soil. When you aerate lawn in April, you make it easier for the roots to grow denser, and also deeper into the soil.
5) April symbolizes resurrection of new life. During this time of year you can easily add spring fertilizer to your lawn. In less than a week after you aerate and fertilize, you should start to see a vast imporvement in the way your lawn looks and feels. By getting a great start on your lawn in the spring, it will look healthy and growth well during the coming summer months .
Hopefully this small guide has been helpful. Take the time to aerate your lawn this April, and you’ll have a great looking lawn all year!